Last updated: 02 June
As part of his Budget announcement on 3 March 2021, the Chancellor stated that the Government would provide additional business rates support for eligible retail, hospitality, leisure, and nursery businesses in England occupying a qualifying property.
As a temporary measure for 2021 to 2022, he announced that:
- The Expanded Retail Discount (2020/21) will be extended for 3 months for eligible properties, at 100 percent relief, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, the Expanded Retail Discount would apply at 66 percent relief for eligible properties in the scheme, with a cash cap of £2m for businesses that were required to close as of January 2021, and up to £105,000 for businesses permitted to open at that date
- The Nursery Discount 2021 would also be extended for 3 months, at 100 percent, uncapped, for the period 1 April 2021 to 30 June 2021
- From 1 July 2021 to 31 March 2022, the Nursery Discount would apply at 66 percent relief for eligible properties, with a cash cap of £105,000
Business grants update
Previously available grants, such as those listed below, have now expired:
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum: Tier 4
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed) Addendum: 5 January onwards
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Closed)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Sector)
- Local Restrictions Support Grant (Open)
- Christmas Support Payment for ‘wet-led pubs’ (CSP)
- Closed Business Lockdown Payment
These grants have now been replaced with the Restart Grants (from 1 April 2021).
Under the Restart Grant scheme, grants of up to £6,000 will be paid to non-essential retail business premises, to help them reopen safely. Grants of up to £18,000 will be allocated to hospitality, accommodation, leisure, personal care and gym business premises.
Note that all Restart Grants now have to have pre-payment checks in line with government guidance. These checks are being carried out by the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) body and can take between 5-10 days to process. We can only make payments once these have been returned.
See our Business Rates Restart grant page to apply for this grant.
Please note, we are currently experience a very high volume of Restart Grant applications and are dealing with these as quickly as possible. We apologies for any delay.
Covid-19 grant scam text
We've been made aware of a Covid-19 grant text scam. Text messages are being sent to members of the public, claiming to offer a Covid-19 Grant due to the current lockdown.
The scam text starts with the words 'GOV.UK' and ends with 'govuk.com', suggesting that the text message has been sent on behalf of the Government. The text alsoincludes a link to 'claim' the grant. This is not a genuine text.
- Do not attempt to click on any links or provide any information
- If you receive a suspicious text report it to us at: NNDRGrants@wokingham.gov.uk
Additional Restrictions Grant - Phase 3
The Additional Restrictions Grant (Phase 3) is currently being reviewed. Keep checking this page for updates.
Business Rates service update
We will try to run our service as normally as possible, but there may be some delays with staff working from home. We will try to email you where possible, and will work hard to make sure that documents you post to us are scanned on to our system as quickly as possible to minimise delays.
We will still accept calls on 0118 974 6000, but there are likely to be some interruptions to the service. You can also email us at: email@example.com.