[Skip to content]

Choosing a marriage or civil partnership

Choosing a marriage or civil partnership

You can get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales if you are:

  • 16 or overdoiwoieow
  • Not already married or in a civil partnership
  • Not closely related

Same-sex couples can convert a civil partnership into a marriagein England or Wales. 

There are different rules if you want to marry/form a civil partnership in Scotland, Northern Ireland or abroad.

If you're under 18

You'll need permission from your parents or guardians to get married or form a civil partnership in England or Wales.

If you or your partner is a foreign national

You may need a visa or permit depending on where your partner is from and whether you want to live in the UK after your ceremony.  You can:

You must decide where you are going to have your ceremony before you give notice.

If you're getting married you can choose to have either a religious ceremony or a civil ceremony.

If you’re forming a civil partnership you cannot have a religious ceremony.

Religious ceremonies

A religious wedding can take place at any registered religious building.

Contact the venue of your choice about whether or not you can get married there.

Same-sex couples can get married in a religious building if it has been registered for the marriage of same-sex couples. 

Civil ceremonies

You can have a civil ceremony at:


You must have at least 2 witnesses at the ceremony.

Registrars must carry out your ceremony.  You will need to book your registrars with the Register Office of the district in which you are marrying.

Give website feedback

Back to top