Due to the current situation with coronavirus, we are unable to book appointments or offer online birth registrations.
Make sure you know what's needed to register a birth
Before you book an appointment to register a birth (either online or by phone) make sure you've read the information on this page so you know what's needed.
Register a birth within 42 days
All births must be registered within 42 days of the child being born. The registration takes place at the local Register Office for the area where the baby was born.
Babies born in Wokingham Borough
If your baby is born anywhere in Wokingham Borough, for example at home, she/he will be registered at the Wokingham Register Office.
To register a birth in Wokingham Borough:
Who needs to attend to register a birth
- For married couples only one parent needs attend (but both are welcome)
- For unmarried couples the mother must attend. If the mother wants the father's details to be recorded both parents must attend
- The child does not need to be there (but is welcome)
What information is needed to register a birth
- The child's date of birth, full names, surname and NHS number
- The mother's forename(s), surname, maiden name (if applicable), month and year of marriage (if applicable), current address (and address at time of birth if different), date of birth, place of birth (town if within UK, or country if abroad and occupation
- The father's forename(s), surname, current address if not married to the mother, date of birth, place of birth (town if within UK, or country if abroad and occupation
- Although not essential, it will help with the accuracy of the information if you could bring either your passport, ID card, birth certificates, deed polls or any marriage or civil partnership certificates
During your appointment you will be asked to check the paper copy of the registration before signing. It is important that you check all the information on the document before signing, paying careful attention to the spelling of names and places as well as dates.
It is your responsibility to make sure all information is correct before signing. Once you have signed the register entry it becomes a legal document. If any error is noticed after signing, a correction would then be required. From 1 November 2017 national fees apply for corrections (£75 to £90). A fee of £40 is also payable for adding to a child’s forename(s) following registration.
Babies born outside Wokingham Borough
If your baby was born outside of Wokingham Borough, your baby will be registered at the Register Office local to that area.
If your baby is born in the Royal Berkshire Hospital you can book an appointment with Reading Register Office.
For Frimley Park you can book an appointment with Surrey Registration service.
Alternatively you can contact any other Register Office in England and Wales, including Wokingham, to book a birth declaration appointment to complete and sign a declaration. This information will then be sent to the Register Office where the birth took place and the registration will be recorded there. You do not receive any certificates on the day of declaration but the birth certificates can be posted by that office to your home address. There will be a delay of several days before you receive the certificates.
Birth certificates cost £11 each:
- Births at home within the Wokingham borough we can accept payment by cash or card - the birth is registered in Wokingham and we produce certificates during the appointment
- Births at Royal Berkshire Hospital we can accept payment by card - information will be taken by us and forwarded to Reading Register Office who'll register the birth and send the birth certificate to you
Find out more
Visit who can register a birth on the Gov.uk website.