[Skip to content]

Changes of circumstance that you must tell us about

Changes you must tell us about

Tell us about your change of circumstances

You can report a change

You must send evidence of the change if you have it. Do not delay informing us if you don’t have the evidence yet.

Tell us about any changes

If your circumstances change, you must let us know within 21 days of the change. This is because any changes may affect the amount of Council Tax Reduction or Benefits you are entitled to. 

Changes you should tell us about

You need to tell us

  • About any changes to your or your partner’s pay, savings, capital or other income
  • If you move house
  • If people move in or out of your household
  • If you have a baby
  • About changes to any Tax credits or benefits you (or your partner) receive
  • About changes in the circumstances of people living with you (e.g. starting work , children leaving school)
  • If you stop receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
  • If you start work
  • About changes in child care costs
  • If your rent increases or decreases. (Tenant Services will tell us about a change in rent if you are a Council tenant.)

This list is not exhaustive. Contact us if you are not sure.

Why do I need to tell you about any changes?

If you do not tell us about your change of circumstance straight away, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much Council Tax Reduction, which you would have to pay back. You may also face a penalty charge. Tell us about any change, even if you are not sure it will affect you. 

Give website feedback

Back to top