[Skip to content]

Changes you must tell us about

Tell us about your change of circumstances

Tell us about any changes

If your circumstances change, you must let us know within 21 days of the change. This is because any changes may affect the amount of Council Tax Reduction you are entitled to. You may incur a penalty of £70 if you fail to report any changes in time.

Changes you should tell us about

You need to tell us:

  • About any changes to your or your partner’s pay, savings, capital or other income
  • If you move house
  • If people move in or out of your household
  • If you have a baby
  • About changes to any Tax credits or benefits you (or your partner) receive
  • About changes in the circumstances of people living with you (e.g., starting work, children leaving school)
  • If you start to receive Universal Credit or have a change in your award. For more information read our Universal Credit page 
  • If you stop receiving Income Support, Employment Support Allowance or Job Seekers Allowance
  • If you start work
  • About changes in childcare costs
  • If your rent increases or decreases. (Tenant Services will tell us about a change in rent if you are a Council tenant)  

This list is not exhaustive.  Contact us if you are not sure.

Why do I need to tell you about any changes?

If you do not tell us about your change of circumstance straight away, you may lose money you are entitled to or you may get too much Council Tax Reduction, which you would have to pay back. You may also face a penalty charge of £70. Tell us about any change, even if you are not sure it will affect you. 

Report a change

You can report a change:

To use the online form, you will need to have the following:    

      • Surname
      • Date of birth
      • National Insurance number
      • Postcode
      • Claim reference
  • By calling:   0118 974 6000 or
  • In writing

You must send evidence of the change that you are reporting. Do not delay informing us if you don’t have the evidence yet. Refer to our evidence checklist.

Give website feedback

Back to top