Contact us to request a change to a street light.
Requests for new street lights
All requests for new highway lighting are added to a list of sites for future consideration. We don't have an annual budget for the installation of new street lights. Council members may consider special funding where specific safety risks have been identified. We can't consider requests for lighting of privately owned areas.
Shading a street light
If a street light shines into your house and is disturbing you it may be possible to shade the lantern to reduce the problem. Usually the light can be shaded by simply painting out part of the lantern glazing bowl. We will be happy to arrange this for no cost. If we have to fit a shade to the lantern or modify the street light, you may have to pay us a fee.
Moving a street light
If you wish to widen your driveway or create a new access you may need us to move a lamp column or illuminated sign post. All requests to relocate a lamp column will be considered taking into account:
- That the street remains correctly lit
- Statutory requirements for the location of a road sign
- The servicing of the unit
- The impact on your neighbours and road users
Moving a street light - costs and planning
When you request us to move a street light, you should consider that:
- You will be responsible for payment of all costs involved in advance of the works taking place
- In areas operating resident parking permits, you may lose the right to a residents' parking permit with the addition of an off-street space
- You may require planning permission before widening a driveway or creating a new access
- The verge or footway may require modification or the access may not be legal - contact our Highways Operations Team for further information
- We recommend that you discuss any proposal to relocate a street light with your neighbours prior to asking us
The cost of relocating a lamp column will include our contractors charge for moving the column. It will probably include Southern Electric PLC's charges for modifications to their electricity supply cable.
In some situations additional lighting may have to be installed to ensure the highway is correctly lit. You would also have to pay for this. If a street light requires replacement due to its age then you won't be charged a fee. Contact us for a quotation. We normally provide quotations within 28 days.
New housing developments
If you are moving into a new housing development, check with the developers plans for the locations of proposed street lights. All street lights on developments that we are to 'adopt', must be installed in locations we approve, and must meet with standards for highway lighting.