What can be disposed of in recycling box
- All food tins and drinks cans
- Paper and card including window envelopes - shredded paper should be put in envelopes or cardboard boxes
- Plastic bottles without lids
- Broken down cardboard which must fit in the box or be in box size bundles placed to side of box
What can't be disposed of in recycling box
- Bulky items - see large unwanted items
- Carrier bags
- Garden waste
- Glass - recycle in bottle banks around borough
- Plastic tubs, pots and food trays
- Tetrapak - some supermarkets take them
For a printable / pictorial guide see what can I recycle (PDF document).
Why we only recycle plastic bottles
Plastic bottles are guaranteed to be good quality plastic accepted by our Material Recovery Facility (MRF) and almost all of the recycling plants too.
Soft plastics like pots, tubs, trays, plastic films and carrier bags are lower quality plastic and are difficult to be identified during the sorting process. There are a lack of recycling plants in the UK to process poor quality plastics. It is also not sustainable or ethical to send them abroad for disposal.
Greenredeem rewards for recycling
Greenredeem is a scheme that rewards you for recycling, You can earn points for your recycling. These can be redeemed for various rewards. To find out more and register visit the Greenredeem website.
Other recycling options