Maintaining grass, parks and open spaces
Our contractors, ISS Facilities Services Landscaping, maintain and cut grass on:
- Highway verges
- Parks and open spaces
- Children's play areas, youth shelters, skate parks and multi-use games areas
- Cemeteries at St. Sebastian’s (Finchampstead), Grovelands Road Cemetery (Spencers Wood), and St Mary’s Closed Cemetery (Shinfield)
- Sports pitches and tennis courts
- Some ponds, lakes and watercourses
- Grassland and wildflower areas
How often is grass cut?
We monitor grass cutting to make sure it's carried out to agreed standards.
The standards are:
- Grass is no longer than 125mm (5 inches) and no shorter than 30mm (1 inch) in general grass areas - most highway verges and parks where it has not been left for wildflower planting or long grass areas
- Where grass is left to grow long then litter should not be a cause for complaint
- Care and attention is given to edges and obstacles e.g. fence posts, trees, etc.
- Finish is free of litter, debris, weed flower stalks and grass culms
- Paths and surrounding edges are free of clippings
- There is an even spread of well mulched clippings
We want to increase these standards in high use areas - for example football pitches and play areas. To do this we will let grass grow long in some areas. This helps biodiversity and wildflower's life cycles. This is a trial and we will monitor customer feedback to ensure we get the right balance.
To find out more read our long grass and wild flower information (PDF document).
Dog fouling and ticks
It's the owner’s responsibility to collect dog waste whatever the height of the grass. We believe the benefits from greater biodiversity are greater than the potential increase in dog fouling.
Veterinarians say the health of a dog is the dog owner's responsibility. Ticks are easily removed and it's important to examine your dog after any kind of walk.
We're making sure that we still have lots of regularly cut areas maintained to higher standards than before.
Report overgrown grass
If you spot an area where the standards are not being met contact us.