About the project
We are replacing 8,000 of our ageing columns that are approaching the end of useful lives and installing more than 13,000 LED lanterns, across our borough.
This includes street lights on major roads, in residential areas, in parks and open spaces, property and car park lighting. It also includes some owned by town and parish councils.
The new LED lanterns will provide white light, with a neutral colour temperature, compared to older yellow light lanterns
Why are we upgrading the street lights?
We are upgrading street lights in order to
- Update and modernise ageing lights and columns
- Improving vision at night by installing white lights
- Reduce carbon footprint with more eco-friendly lighting
- Reduce energy costs by at least 60 percent per lighting unit
- Increase options for further energy and cost reductions by introducing dimming and part-night lighting where appropriate
- Reduce maintenance costs
Works started in April 2016 and were due to finish in March 2018.
Read about the progress of the works in the Street Lighting Upgrade - Project Status at April 2018 (PDF document).
Find out more
To find out more
To report a problem visit our report a faulty street light page.