Why we're building a South Wokingham Distributor Road
There will be 4,000 new homes built in Wokingham by 2026 as part of our projects to build more houses.
The South Wokingham Distributor Road will provide access to the new developments and minimise traffic.
Consultation on the route
We have now finished consulting on the route for the South Wokingham Distributor Road. We consulted on 3 alternative routes.
There was clear preference for a route through the centre of the development. 81% of consultation responses supported this option. You can see a summary of the responses below:
Our Executive supported the public preference in November 2014.
The new route is being built with the following basis:
- A spine road through the centre of the South Wokingham Strategic Development Location
- A new bridge will connect to the Montague Park section of the road already being constructed north of the Waterloo railway line
- The road will continue to new junctions with Waterloo Road, Easthampstead Road and on to Finchampstead Road - connecting at the existing Tesco roundabout
- To take in to account public response the project will consider a change to the consultation route south of Knoll Farm (Option B1) and across the existing flood attenuation pond west of Easthampstead Road
- It will include closure of Waterloo Road level crossing as alternative routes are provided by the distributor road and the new railway bridge to Montague Park
- An improvement to Peacock Lane will be made towards Jennetts Park and Bracknell
- The existing Guildford Line railway bridge at Finchampstead Road will be demolished and replaced with a new, wider and higher structure to provide better pedestrian and cyclist provision and to enable use of the road by high sided vehicles
- Finchampstead Road will be improved and realigned between Molly Millars Lane and the Tesco roundabouts
- An enlarged roundabout will be provided at Molly Millars Lane
- Investigation will be made for pedestrian and cyclist crossings of the Waterloo Line to connect the new development south of the railway with Wokingham town centre
A planning application for the new road will be submitted during 2016 to 2017.
Other supporting documents for consultation on the route
Find out more
For more background information visit our major road projects document library.