What is Bikeability training?
Bikeability gives children the skills and confidence they need to cycle on roads. All primary / junior schools in Wokingham borough now offer Bikeability training at school. This is funded by a Bikeability grant from the Department for Transport.
Level 1/Level 2 courses start in a traffic- free area (e.g. a playground or car park) then move on to quiet roads in the local area, progressing to roads with more traffic by the third session. The training covers Bikeability Level 1 and 2 (combined.)
Who can take part?
To take part children normally have to be
- 10 years or over by 31 August 2017
- Able to ride a bike competently
- Owners of a roadworthy bike and a cycle helmet
Bikeability Level 1/level 2 (Combined) courses
There aren't currently any Bikeability Level 1 / Level 2 (combined) courses available.
Want to try the next level?
If you have already passed Bikeability Level 2 and are a confident cyclist, then why not have a go at Level 3? Bikeability Level 3 training teaches you to cycle on more challenging roads and traffic situations, including complex junctions and busy roundabouts.
To be eligible you need to satisfy the following conditions
- Age 11 years or over by 31 August 2017
- Must have already passed Bikeability Level 2 and have experience of cycling on your own in traffic
- Must have a roadworthy bike suitable for road cycling (mountain bikes, hybrids or road bikes are fine, but not BMX-type bikes which don’t have gears)
- Must wear a cycle helmet
Bikeability Level 3 courses
The following courses are available
- Thursday 3 and Friday 4 August from 10am to 12.30pm each day
- At The FBC Centre, Gorse Ride North, Finchampstead, RG40 4ES
- Tuesday 29 and Wednesday 30 August from 10am to 12.30pm each day
- At St. Crispin’s Leisure Centre, London Road, Wokingham, RG40 1SR
- Course costs £10 per trainee
To apply for a place on a course, complete and return the attached Bikeability Level 3 cycle training consent form (Word document) or Bikeability Level 3 cycle training consent form (PDF document) with your payment.
Order a cycle helmet
To order a child's cycle helmet you can print off our cycle helmet order form (PDF document) and send it back with payment to the address on the form.
For more details email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0118 908 8208