Who to talk to
Every nursery and pre school has Special Educational Needs Coordinator, known as a SENCO. They make sure children with special educational needs get the support they need.
If a parent or a member of staff thinks a child might need extra support, the SENCO discusses this with the parent to agree what support is required.
This could be:
- Different methods of teaching
- Extra help from another staff member
- Use of particular equipment
The SENCo will:
- Coordinate the help children need day to day
- Discuss individual targets with the parents
- Offer advice to key workers
These targets then become an Early Years Intervention Plan (EYIP).