Schedule of work
- Summer 2018: Detailed design complete and planning conditions discharged
- Autumn 2018: Data collection including archaeological and environmental studies
- Late Autumn 2018: Site preparation and utilities re-routing
- Early 2019: Construction begins
- Early 2020: Open for traffic
This project on Lower Earley Way will involve widening of the road to provide 2 lanes in each direction, between the Loddon Roundabout, near Showcase Cinema, and the new junction with the Winnersh Relief Road.
These dualling works are to accommodate the forecast traffic, which will be introduced by the completion of the Winnersh Relief Road (WRR). We will realign the existing footway/cycleway and add a new footway to the eastern side of the road.
The works to deliver the Lower Earley Way dualling scheme will involve widening the northbound carriageway, including renewing the kerb, existing surface water drainage infrastructure, road markings, road signs and other street furniture. Finally, the road will be resurfaced throughout the entire limits of the scheme.
Current project status
Phase 1 of this improvement project, which will see the development of a new footway, has begun. During this phase the southbound carriageway of Lower Earley Way between the Showcase roundabout and the junction of Winnersh Relief Road Phase 1 will be closed. The road will remain open with a single lane running in each direction on the northbound carriageway.
The main construction works will be carried out in 5 phases and is due to be completed early in 2020. A summary of the construction programme, including the dates for these phases, which are subject to change, are as follows:
- Phase 1 – Southbound (March to May 2019) - Construction of new southbound footway
- Phase 2 – Northbound (June to November 2019) - Construction of new northbound widening
- Phase 3 – Culvert Island Site (December 2019) - Construction of culvert crossing
- Phase 4 – Culvert Southbound (January 2020) - Construction of culvert crossing
- Phase 4 and 5 – Resurfacing and Road Marking (February 2020) - Construction of new road surface
Further details about the works that will be carried out during each phase can be seen below under the 'Project update' section.
Traffic delays possible during works
Unfortunately these works are likely to result in restricted capacity at the Showcase Roundabout with the potential for congestion and delay. To mitigate this, we will be working closely with local businesses and the council’s My Journey team to develop and deliver a coordinated demand management plan, providing information and advice on the alternatives as well as up to date information on public transport options throughout the works.
We remain committed to the successful completion of this scheme and subject to unavoidable and unexpected circumstances, we aim to complete this scheme on time. Thanks for your patience.