Schedule of work
- Summer 2018: Detailed design complete and planning conditions discharged
- Autumn 2018: Data collection including archaeological and environmental studies
- Late Autumn 2018: Site preparation and utilities re-routing
- Early 2019: Construction begins
- Early 2020: Open for traffic
This project on Lower Earley Way will involve widening of the road to provide 2 lanes in each direction, between the Loddon Roundabout, near Showcase Cinema, and the new junction with the Winnersh Relief Road.
These dualling works are to accommodate the forecast traffic, which will be introduced by the completion of the Winnersh Relief Road (WRR). We will realign the existing footway/cycleway and add a new footway to the eastern side of the road.
The works to deliver the Lower Earley Way dualling scheme will involve widening the northbound carriageway, including renewing the kerb, existing surface water drainage infrastructure, road markings, road signs and other street furniture. Finally, the road will be resurfaced throughout the entire limits of the scheme.
Current project status
Detailed design started in Spring 2018 and enabling works are currently taking place to assess the site for accommodating the road dualling.
Good progress is being made on the pre-construction works for the Lower Earley Way Dualling
A northbound lane closure is currently in place to allow final utilities works to be carried out in preparation for main construction.
The current phase of early enabling works is due to finish the end of January and, subject to agreement on a detailed works programme and outstanding commercial matters, the main construction phase is due to start end of January.
During this time there will be temporary road closures, diversions and traffic management to assist the future permanent works for the improvement project.
Aside from Phase 3 which may require full overnight closure whilst the water pipe is diverted, the road will remain open with single lane running in each direction on the non-affected carriageway.
A final programme is still to be confirmed however we anticipate that the main construction works will be carried out in four phases starting at the end of January and being completed early in 2020. The timings at this stage are approximate.
- Phase 1 (4 months): Closure of southbound carriageway on Lower Earley Way to build a new footpath
- Phase 2 (5-6 months): Switch of works to northern side of road requiring closure of the northbound carriageway. On this side we will carry out the majority of the works, including the proposed road widening, laying blacktop, street lights and signs, attenuation ponds and necessary landscaping
- Phase 3 (1-2 months): Creation of a new trench across the carriageway to divert a utility pipe. This will require full overnight road closures for up to one week
- Phase 4 (1 month): Road surfacing. Road is expected to open in early 2020
Phases 2 and 3 in particular are likely to result in restricted capacity at the Showcase Roundabout with the potential for congestion and delay. To mitigate this, we will be working closely with local businesses and the council’s My Journey team to develop and deliver a co-ordinated demand management plan, providing information and advice on the alternatives as well as up to date information on public transport options throughout the works.
We remain committed to the successful completion of this scheme and subject to unavoidable and unexpected circumstances, we aim to complete this scheme on time. Thanks for your patience.