Wokingham town centre needs to evolve, to meet the needs of residents now and as the population grows. Several town centre sites have been identified for regeneration in the Wokingham town centre Masterplan (PDF document). We have set up a regeneration team to help develop some of these sites and to find out more visit The Regeneration Company website.
Planning permission has already been granted for:
- F/2012/1678 - the refurbishment of the buildings on the corner of Market Place and Rose Street which has already been completed
- F/2014/2637 - the regeneration of the "Peach Place" site, which extends from the Market Place along Rose Street and Peach Street
- O/2015/1056 - a mixed use development including expansion of the existing leisure facilities and a new multi-storey car park at Carnival Pool
- 153125 - a mixed use development including reconfiguration of the park at Elms Field, a new cinema and a hotel
- A further planning application was approved in February 2018 for the Carnival Pool Phase 2, which includes plans for an improved leisure centre and community facilities to include the relocation of Wokingham library (Planning Application No 172012). You can read more about the proposals to relocate Wokingham library in the Impact Assessment (PDF document).
We are looking to improve the streets and other public spaces in the town centre, to reduce the dominance of traffic and make them more 'people friendly'.
Building on the masterplan, an initial public realm workshop took place in June 2011 and further details can be found in the Wokingham Town Centre Public Realm Stakeholder Consultation Report (PDF document). This was followed by a series of workshops and an exhibition, leading to the production of the Public Realm Strategy (PDF document) and Public Realm Strategy appendices (PDF document).
We're working with Wokingham Town Council to carry out improvements to the Market Place. Following a series of meetings and workshops with local residents during 2015 we have been working on the detailed design.
Market Place improvement
Read our Wokingham Market Place improvement page for details of planned improvements to Market Place.