South Wokingham Strategic Development Location (SDL)
The South Wokingham major development is an urban extension of Wokingham town, Montague Park and south of the railway between the boundary with Bracknell Forest and Finchampstead Road. It will include new homes, new primary schools, local shopping and community facilities in two new neighbourhood centres, open spaces and roads including a South Wokingham Distributor Road. View the South Wokingham Strategic Development Location map showing indicative masterplan (PDF document.)
Sign up for our newsletter
Get involved with us and help us build real communities, not just buildings. You can get involved in the following ways
- Community forums - We have created community forums for each major development area. The forums are your way to find out what is happening and to get involved. If you would like to be notified of future South Wokingham forums, sign up for our newsletter
- 'New residents' meetings and social groups - When there are about 100 new homes being lived in, we host a ‘new neighbours’ meeting to welcome new residents to Wokingham. We use this meeting to introduce ourselves, our partners and the services that we provide. We work with partners in this effort, usually the developers, Churches Together and housing associations. We encourage the residents to build relationships, establish a Facebook group, and then start a Residents Association. Some of the events we’ve held in the past include pub quiz nights and community lunches. This community development work is just starting in North Wokingham. If you are a new resident in Montague Park and would like to receive emails about upcoming events or are interested in helping start a residents association, email us at email@example.com
- Read the Montague Park Wokingham Community Group Facebook page
The next community forum for the South Wokingham development area will be held in spring 2017. The last community forum was held on the following date:
Wednesday 16 November 2016 at The Bradbury Centre, Wokingham from 7pm to 8.45pm. See related documents below:
The site north of the railway line, Montague Park, is being built in 7 phases:
- Phase 1, 2, 3, 4 - Complete
- Phase 5 - 195 new homes. Full permission granted in August 2014. Under construction
- Phase 6 - Neighbourhood centre to include retail and other commercial space as well as a community centre and a children’s playground. A details application is going to April planning committee
- Phase 7 - 100 new homes, a children’s playground and allotments. Under construction
The site south of the railway line is in the pre-application masterplanning stage, which is currently underway by a consortium of developers and land owners.
A land development company, Gladman Developments Ltd, is currently consulting local residents about a potential future proposal for up to 250 homes on land off the Finchampstead Road. This proposal has not received any endorsement from Wokingham Borough Council and the site has not been allocated for development through the Local Plan. See the Gladman statement for more information (PDF document).