South of the M4 Strategic Development Location (SDL)
In Shinfield Parish, the villages of Shinfield, Spencers Wood and Three Mile Cross are being extended and together comprise 1 of our major development areas. There will be homes, a district centre which will include a supermarket, a community centre, a neighbourhood centre, 2 new primary schools, new playing fields and open space, and new roads including a relief road with a bridge over the M4. The University of Reading is building the Thames Valley Science and Innovation Park which will bring the Borough about 55,000 square metres of new employment space. View the South of M4 Strategic Development Location map showing the indicative masterplan (PDF document.)
Sign up for our newsletter
Get involved and help us build real communities, not just buildings. You can get involved in the following ways
- Community forums - We have created community forums for each major development area. The forums are your way to find out what is happening and to get involved. If you would like to be notified of future Shinfield forums, sign up for our newsletter
- 'New residents' meetings and social groups - When there are about 100 new homes being lived in, we host a ‘new neighbours’ meeting to welcome new residents to Wokingham. We use this meeting to introduce ourselves and the services we provide. We work with partners in this effort, usually the developers, Churches Together and housing associations. We encourage the residents to build relationships, establish a Facebook group, and then start a Residents Association. Some of the events we’ve held in the past include pub quiz nights and community lunches. If you are a new resident in one of the Shinfield Parish major development locations and would like to receive emails about new resident events, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Come to our next forum meeting on 24 April
The next community forum for Shinfield Parish will be held on 24 April 2017, from 7pm to 9pm at the Three Mile Cross Church Centre, Basingstoke Rd.
There is a new format, building on changes at the last round of forums and found to be successful. There will be a Market Place drop-in session from 7pm to 8pm, where you can visit the ‘stalls’ and speak with the officers on a one-to-one basis. Then, from 8pm to 9pm, there will be a discussion session with Councillor Mark Ashwell.
See the full agenda (PDF document).
The last forum was held on:
All of the allocated sites that make up this major development location have outline planning permission. Below is a list of the developments with detailed permission.
For Shinfield village, there are currently 2 development sites for houses and the Science Park:
- Cutbush Lane
- Shinfield West
- Thames Valley Science and Innovation Park website
- The new bridge over the M4, part of the new Eastern Relief Road, is now open. Completion of the Eastern Relief Road has been delayed and is expected to be finished in 2017.
For Spencers Wood, there are currently 7 development sites:
- North of Church Lane
- North of Croft Road
- South of Croft Road
- North of Hyde End Road (Reed Land)
- East of Basingstoke Road
- West of Rose Cottage