What is self-build?
Self-build is where individuals or groups are involved in creating their own home. Visit the Self Build Portal website to find out more.
What is the self-build register?
It is a scheme for us to help identify people wanting to build or commission their own home in the area.
We're creating a register of people interested in self-build and custom build projects in Wokingham Borough.
This will help us to assess the demand for self and custom build and allow us to develop housing and planning policies.
Am I eligible to go on the self-build register?
Our custom and self-build Register is split into two parts:
- Applicants meeting all of the eligibility criteria, including the local connection test, will be placed into part one of the register
- Applicants that do not establish a local connection, but otherwise meet the eligibility criteria, will be entered into Part Two of the register
Applicants meeting at least one of the criteria below will be defined as having a local connection to Wokingham Borough. These are:
- Having either lived in the borough for at least 5 years; and/or
- Having been in full-time employment (greater than 16 hours per week) within the borough for at least 5 years; and/or
- Having an immediate family member who has lived in the borough for the past 5 years. Immediate family are defined as a close relative (mother, father, brother, sister or adult child)
Please note, current or former personnel (applying to join the Register within 5 years of discharge) of the armed services will automatically satisfy any local connection test set.
An association is eligible for entry onto the register if each member of the association meets the eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.
In order to prove that you satisfy at least one of the local connection criteria listed above, please provide:
- Evidence of living in the borough for the last 5 years, such as, council tax statements, lease agreements, utility bills, or any other information which demonstrates residency beyond doubt.
- Evidence of full-time employment (greater than 16 hours per week) in the borough for the last 5 years, such as, dated pay slips, contract of employment or a letter from employer on headed paper which includes your name and their address.
- Evidence of an immediate family member living in the borough for the past 5 years, such as, council tax statements or utility bills from an address in the district, accompanied by a statement demonstrating your relationship to the person named on the bills.
- Evidence of armed forces service (within 5 years of discharge), such as, a military ID card or a military discharge record, including date of leaving services.
Your evidence will need to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to our offices after completion of your registration form.
If you do not provide details of how you meet the local connection criteria, but you meet all other eligibility criteria, your application will be placed onto Part Two of the Register until we receive satisfactory evidence.
The Council has 28 days from receipt of your evidence to determine whether or not you have passed the local connection test. If your evidence is insufficient or does not meet the criteria, we will email or write to you to explain this.
The Council’s duty is to grant enough development permissions for Part One of the register only. Part Two entries do not count towards demand for granting development permissions, but relevant authorities must have regard to them when carrying out their planning, housing, land disposal and regeneration functions.
Register your interest in self-build
To register your interest in building your own home in Wokingham borough complete the relevant online form below
We will inform you whether your application has been successful within 28 days of your application. Registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified or become available.
We will not pass identifiable information from the register onto anyone without your consent.
Find out more about self-build