There are only limited circumstances when an appeal can be made. For example:
- Demolition of a property
- Conversion of houses into flats
- Physical changes in the locality which may affect the value.
A taxpayer can also appeal within 6 months of becoming a taxpayer or having their band changed, and within 6 months of a band change to a property similar to their own.
Appealing against Council Tax Bandings can be pursued for free. Visit the Gov.uk website for details.
Appeals against Council Tax liability
In addition to an appeal against your valuation band, you may appeal if you consider that you are not liable for Council Tax because:
- You are not the resident or the owner
- You consider your property should be exempt, or
- You have been refused a discount to which you believe you are entitled, or
- That Wokingham Borough Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill
If you wish to make an appeal on any of the above, you should firstly notify us in writing so that we have an opportunity to consider your case.
Making an appeal either against banding or generally does not entitle you to withhold payment. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid Council Tax.