Volunteers who give up their precious time to help out at the borough’s libraries are due to be thanked at a special event at Wokingham Library on Wednesday May 23, from 2pm to 4pm.
There are some 60 volunteers across the borough helping library services in many ways, including:
- the Home Library Service – volunteers choose and deliver books to readers who are unable to get to the library themselves
- children’s story time sessions, activities and events
- popular clubs for young people such as the Manga Club, Wokingham Book Borrowers and Teen Book Group, run by young volunteers
- special library events such as author visits
- Bookstart packing parties – adding leaflets to Bookstart packs, which are given free to babies and young children to encourage reading from an early age
- UK Online sessions helping people get started with computers and the internet
Kate Mitchell, Wokingham Borough Council volunteer service coordinator, said: "The library volunteers contribute to a wide range of library services and their hard work is much appreciated by staff and library customers. We are looking forward to recognising their contribution at this event."
All library volunteers have been invited to the annual summer celebration, where they will hear a talk on clothes from the past by Hazel Gillingwater and receive certificates thanking them for their efforts.
They will also have the chance to meet fellow volunteers and library staff, to catch up on library news and enjoy afternoon tea.