[Skip to content]

How to claim Council Tax Reduction

How to claim Council Tax Reduction

To claim Council Tax Reduction, fill in an application form and send it back to us. You can do this in several ways:

Send us supporting documents with your application

You will need send us some supporting documents with your application form. Read on to find out more.

Send us your original documents

As well as the form, send some supporting documents for your claim. Enclose the following (original) documents with your claim form:

  • 2 forms of identification for you and your partner
  • Evidence of your National Insurance and that of your partner
  • Evidence of all income for you, your partner and anyone else who lives in your household
  • Evidence of all capital held by you and your partner (e.g. bank and building society accounts, investments, cash, property, shares, etc.)


Photocopies can't be accepted

All documents must be originals. Photocopies won't be accepted and may delay your claim.

What if I don't have all my documents right now?

If you haven't got all the proof we ask for to support your claim, send what you can with the form straight away. You need to send us the rest within 1 calendar month. We will write to you to confirm if any other information is needed.

The amount of Council Tax Reduction you receive will be calculated based on the following:

  • Money you and your partner (if applicable) have coming in. This includes earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
  • Your and your partner’s capital, savings and investments
  • Your circumstances, such as age, who lives in the household, ages of children, whether anyone is disabled

Council Tax Reduction is normally paid from the Monday after your claim is received at our offices. 

Was this page useful?
Back to top