[Skip to content]

Change of circumstances relating to Council Tax

Change of circumstances

Things you must tell us

If your circumstances change it may affect your Council Tax.

You must let us know:

  • If you move
  • If someone else moves in
  • If your bank details change and you are paying by Direct Debit 

How to let us know about your changes

How to let us know if you move

To let us know you're moving:

What happens if you don't tell us about changes

You have to tell us within 21 days about any change in circumstances which may affect your entitlement to a discount, exemption or a council tax reduction.

If we've asked you to supply information to identify the liable person and that information is in their possession or control you must tell us the information within 21 days.

If you receive a request for information following the issue of a Liability Order and that information is in your possession you must tell us the information within 14 days of the request.

Failure to notify or supply information could lead to a penalty of £70.

If you've already received a penalty and a further request to supply the same information is made again we still don't receive the information you could receive a further penalty of £280.

Apply online to register to vote

You can now apply online to register to vote on Gov.uk website - you will need your National Insurance number and date of birth.

Data Protection Statement  

The information you have provided will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. The information will be used for Council Tax and Benefits purposes and may be disclosed to organisations used by us to aid collection of the tax.

Was this page useful?
Back to top