[Skip to content]

Animal licensing

Animal licensing

New animal licensing regulations from 1 October

From 1 October 2018, a new set of regulations will come in to force, controlling various businesses that involve animals. If you currently hold a licence to board animals (whether at home or in a kennel/cattery), sell animals, hire horses, or breed dogs, that licence will run until the expiry date as stated on the licence but when you come to renew it will be under the new regulations.

If you do not currently hold a licence but are carrying out, or are intending to carry out, one or more of the following activities, you will need to apply for a licence:

  • Selling animals as pets    
  • Providing or arranging for the provision of boarding for cats or dogs, including:
    • providing boarding for cats
    • providing boarding in kennels for dogs
    • providing home boarding for dogs, or
    • providing day care for dogs
  • Hiring out horses
  • Breeding dogs
  • Keeping or training animals for exhibition

The conditions and guidance for these activities is set nationally by the regulations rather than by the Council. For more details about the Law and relevant legislation visit the National Archives Legislation website.

Contact us if you have any questions about the requirements, or whether or not you need to apply for a licence.

Was this page useful?
Back to top