[Skip to content]

Demolition of buildings

Demolition of buildings

Give notice before starting demolition work

Our Building Control surveyors inspect sites where demolitions are to take place to ensure buildings are demolished safely. Any person undertaking demolition work must give us formal notice of their intent so that we can make these inspections - failure to do so before you start demolition is prosecutable. For more advice read our demolition guidance notes (PDF document).

How do I apply for Demolition Notice?

Complete our demolition notice application form (PDF document) and email it to us at building.control@wokingham.gov.uk

When you submit your notice you will need to supply the following documents

  • A Method Statement for the proposed demolition works
  • An Asbestos Type 3 Survey report

These are necessary as part of the contractor's duties.

You will also need to notify the occupiers of any adjoining properties and also your gas, electricity and water suppliers.

What happens next?

Once we receive your Notice, we will send out a Counter Notice explaining our requirements as soon as possible. This will contain conditions that will secure the health and safety of the public as well as requirements under which you should undertake the demolition work. Please ensure you read these carefully. You should not commence demolition work until you receive the Counter Notice or a period of 6 weeks has expired.

We also send copies to adjoining occupiers and other external agencies, i.e. the Fire Service, Environment Agency, Health and Safety Executive, Ordnance Survey and the gas, electricity and water suppliers. They may have certain requirements and might need to access the site, for instance to isolate their services.

Listed buildings and buildings in Conservation Areas

Any alteration of a listed building involving partial or complete demolition will require separate formal listed building consent and planning permission. Unauthorised alteration is illegal and will result in prosecution.

For more information please visit our listed building and Conservation Areas page. The substantial or complete demolition of an unlisted building in a Conservation Area also requires Conservation Area consent. Our Planning Duty Officer and Planning Policy team can advise you further.

What do I have to do during the demolition stage?

Don't forget the Party Wall Act as this may also apply. You will need to notify adjoining owners separately.

Dealing with asbestos materials

If prior or during demolition works, certain types of asbestos material are found, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) should be notified immediately and should be followed by the demolition contractor. For more information about dealing with asbestos visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Unless the skip operator or contractor is already licensed to transport asbestos based products, a license will be required from the Environment Agency to move any asbestos based material off-site.

More details

Was this page useful?
Back to top