Our Nationality Checking Service
The Nationality Checking Service is a partnership between us and UK Visas and Immigration.
To use the service you have to make an appointment.
What we do
- Check your application forms have been completed correctly
- Make sure the required documents are included
- Photocopy supporting evidence such as passports and marriage certificates (originals will be returned to you).
- Check the correct fee has been submitted
- Provided we're satisfied that your application form is complete with the right supporting documents the advisor will recommend your application is forwarded to the Home Office Nationality Group by Special Delivery post
How to book an appointment
Check Gov.uk website citizenship information first to find out if you can become a British citizen.
To make an appointment call 0118 974 6554. All applicants over the age of 18 must attend the Nationality Checking Service appointment. Children must be resident in the UK to apply for British Citizenship.
Appointments last for about an hour.
- Adult application - £75
- Child application - £55
The full fee is paid when you book the appointment and is non-refundable.
If you fail to attend, don't cancel, arrive late or don't have the correct documents no refund will be given.
What you need to bring
- Completed citizenship application form with a passport size photograph - visit Gov.uk website citizenship information for application form for British citizenship
- Original copy of qualifications that meet both parts of the Knowledge of Language of Life requirement - visit Gov.uk website knowledge of language and life information to find out more as it's your responsibility to have correct documentation
- You must have all of the relevant documents
- If you don't have passports to cover the required residency period you will need to supply other documentation to support your application
- The citizenship application fee - payable to the Home Office
- The checking service fee - must be paid separately from the citizenship application fee
What happens next
The Home Office will write to you to advise you of the outcome of your application.
Joint Citizenship and passport application service
You can now apply for your passport at the same time as your citizenship application.
This easy, efficient service is in partnership with the Home Office. If your citizenship application is successful and a ceremony is attended, your new passport will be sent to your home.
If you use the Joint Citizenship and passport application service, follow the steps below:
- Complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 (if applicable) and section 9 of the passport application form.
- You don't need to complete section 10 or have your 2 photographs certified. This is because details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- The photographs you submit with both applications must be identical and comply with the photo standards in the application guidance. You don't need to get these photographs certified as details of referees will be collected as part of your citizenship application
- Section 1 - if you are within 6 months of your 16th birthday at the time of the application, you must attend the appointment in person
- Section 2 - don't enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Enter it in section 8 instead
- Section 4 - grandparent's details are not required
- You must complete the payment mandate on page 25 of the application guidance. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the correct box.
If you're not sure about any requirements, leave it blank and complete it at your appointment.
The service costs an additional £15.
To make an appointment call: 0118 974 6554.