[Skip to content]

How to claim Housing Benefit

How to claim Housing Benefit

To claim Housing Benefit, fill in an application form and send it back to us. You can do this in several ways:

Send us supporting documents with your application

You will need send us some supporting documents with your application form. Read on to find out more.

How will I be paid?

The easiest way to receive your Housing Benefit payment is direct into your bank or building society account. If you would like us to pay you in this way, complete the Benefits BACS Mandate (PDF document). Please provide a recent bank statement showing your name, sort code and account number. If you don't provide the bank details that we need, we will pay you by cheque.

Send us your original documents

As well as the form, send some supporting documents for your claim. Enclose the following (original) documents with your claim form:

  • 2 forms of identification for you and your partner
  • Evidence of your National Insurance and that of your partner
  • Evidence of all income for you, your partner and anyone else who lives in your household
  • Evidence of all capital held by you and your partner (e.g. bank and building society accounts, investments, cash, property, shares, etc.)
  • Evidence of current rent  

Photocopies can't be accepted

All documents must be originals. Photocopies won't be accepted and may delay your claim.

What if I don't have all my documents right now?

If you haven't got all the proof we ask for to support your claim, send what you can with the form straight away. You need to send us the rest within 1 calendar month. We will write to you to confirm if any other information is needed.

There is no set figure for Housing Benefit. The amount you receive will be calculated based on the following:

  • Money you and your partner (if applicable) have coming in. This includes earnings, benefits, tax credits and pensions
  • Your and your partner’s capital, savings and investments
  • Your circumstances, such as age, who lives in the household, ages of children, whether anyone is disabled

To find out how much benefit you may be entitled to, visit the Gov.uk website for guidance figures.

Housing Benefit is paid from the Monday after your claim is received at our offices. Housing Benefit payments are paid to you every 2 weeks in arrears on a set schedule (PDF document) except for Council House tenants whose benefit is paid direct to their rent account.

If you are one of the following you can choose to have your benefit paid directly to your landlord:

  • Housing Association tenants 
  • Mobile home / caravan tenants 
  • Tenants who have been in receipt of Housing Benefit continuously since before 7 April 2008
Was this page useful?
Back to top