Why does overpayment occur?
An overpayment happens when you are paid Council Tax Reduction or Benefits that you are not entitled to. The most common cause for an overpayment is people failing to tell us about a change in their circumstances.
What happens if I have an overpayment of Housing Benefit?
We will write to tell you. We will let you know
- What caused the overpayment
- How much the overpayment is
- The dates of the overpayment
- How you can pay the overpayment back (if necessary)
- What to do if you disagree with the overpayment
What happens if I have an overpayment of Council Tax Reduction?
We will send you a new Council Tax bill which will include the overpaid Benefit or Reduction. We will let you know the cost of the new instalments.
What if I disagree with the overpayment?
If you disagree with the overpayment you can
- Contact us and ask us to look at the decision again, or
- Appeal against the decision