[Skip to content]


Universal Credit - changes to Benefits

Universal Credit

What is Universal Credit?

The government introduced Universal Credit in the Wokingham Borough area on 21 September 2015. Universal Credit is being introduced gradually, depending on your circumstances, and it may be some time before you are affected by any changes.

What will change?

Universal Credit is replacing 6 main benefits for people of working age who are out of work or who are on a low income. It will be paid as a single monthly payment that will replace the following Benefits:

How will my Benefits be paid?

Universal Credit will be paid directly in to your bank or building society account. If you do not have a bank account then you will need to set one up. You will be responsible for making payments to your landlord, because the Universal Credit payment includes a payment for housing.

Who can apply?

From 21 September 2015, some single people who are looking for work may be able to make a claim for Universal Credit. To claim, you must meet all the criteria set by the Department of Work and Pensions on the Universal Credit website.

How to apply

Make your claim as soon as you can as the Department for Work and Pensions can't back date your claim. You need to apply online at the Gov.uk website and you will manage your claim through an online account. If you don't have access to the internet, you can get free online access at libraries throughout the borough. Limited support and online access is also available at our ‘community venues’ throughout the borough.

For more information about making a claim and the types of information you will need in order to complete your claim read the ‘ Making a Universal Credit claim' information on the Gov.uk website.

If you need support in order to make you application, call our Benefits and Welfare Team on 0118 974 6000 before 2.30pm to arrange a same day appointment at our Shute End offices, so that a member of our team can assist you with your application.

Universal Credit will include any housing costs you are entitled to, but it doesn’t include financial help for Council Tax.

More details

For more information about Universal Credit visit the Gov.uk website.

Was this page useful?
Back to top